2011年2月7日 星期一

2/4: Day 12 of the Mayan Trip馬雅探索

Hi, KCBS:

Today was the last day on the cruise!  The HASSE staff members planned a full day for the kids.  To start off, the kids still had breakfast.  I could see it in their eyes, but after days of gluttony, indulging in endless supply of food, their better sense of health finally caught up.  So, it became easier to drag the kids away from the buffet breakfast.  Before, it was like pulling the kids by their legs, having them hanging on horizontally onto their plate of food, now, some of the kids leave the buffet before we even sat down!

The first class we had today was not taught by Dr. Barnhart, but a cruise member.  Did we find a cruise member who happens to be an expert in Mayan civilization like Dr. Barnhart?  The answer would be no,because the class was towel folding!  Yup, the cruise member has been delighting us with a different animal each day made out of their towel.  So, we went and learned how to make animals out of a large bath towel with a small face towel.  I am proud to say that I now can make an elephant and a dog out of towels!  So, whenever I have guests over my house for the holidays, I'll know how to entertain them. Hahaha!

After the stimulating class to start off the day, the kids moved onto to Dr. Barnhart's last lecture on the Mayan hieroglyphics.  The ship was rocking a bit heavier due to the weather change, so many kids actually feel a bit seasick.  Under the circumstances, they still did their best to listen as Dr. Barnhart talked about the background.  In the end, the students were asked to write out their own name using Mayan hieroglyphics.  The kids enjoyed that part of the lecture, and it was an excellent way to end the lessons!  Now, the kids have something that they can take away with them back home.

In the afternoon, the kids had some free time to use the facilities on the cruise ship and to prepare their group dance for the farewell party.  A few students were goofing around, but the majority of the students really took the time and made the effort to improve their dancing.  In the middle of that, we also had a class lined up for the kids and the staff members to learn country line dancing!  Yes,obviously, I was not part of the meeting in the previous night to decide on the day's agenda.  If I were, the towel folding and the country line dancing would NOT be on the agenda.  But, since I am such a cooperative person,I participated!

Then, just when I thought I could not have embarrassed myself even more, the HASSE staff members informed me, with trepidation, that they had decided to do a dance routine for the kids.  I was like,would somebody please shoot me out of my misery?  So, we had about 1 hour to prepare for the party.  I was reluctant, but being the professional that I am, I put in my best effort.

The farewell party started late and in a disorganized fashion because the groups all wanted some extra time.  Once the party started, everybody had a smile on his or her face the whole time!  We started with the dance done by the adult chaperons, then proceeded to the group's dance routine.  Dr. Barnhart handed out his certificate to the students for completing the course.  My memory became fuzzy after that because I became hungry!  But I think there was a part where all of us sat in a circle to share and reflection on this experience.  Each kid had a lot to say.  Some kids talked about their interesting findings, funny anecdotes, and new friendships.  A few students cried, and so did the staff members.  My eyes were red, but mostly because I was hungry.  I don't cry when I am happy, and I was pretty happy with the experience.

The day did not end with the farewell party; there were still the checking out procedures.  The kids were asked to pack and put their luggage outside their cabin.  All the kids wanted to stay up later AND go watch the sunrise.  I ran in my pajamas around to get money from the kids, to remind the kids to get things done before leaving, it was a mess!  Luckily, everybody got his/her large suitcase outside the cabin on time.  After that, I went to sleep and had no recollection of what happened afterward.  Sorry!  But I do remember going to bed feeling happy because the trip has been very successful and I am very glad that everyone is going home feeling satisfied!

Have a good day! We're coming home soon!

Frankie

沒有留言:

張貼留言